Learning how to check tire tread depth can make all the difference on a snow-covered driveway or on a Cincinnati, OH highway in a thunderstorm. Although INFINITI drivers have access to exceptional INFINITI roadside assistance, we’d prefer you not need it except in the rarest cases. Explore the difference between needing to rotate your tires and replacing them altogether as our INFINITI service experts answer “How do I check tire tread depth?” below.
How to Check Tire Tread Depth: Safe Tire Depth
Before you begin, it’s important to understand what your tire needs are, especially if you’re driving in the colder seasons, or if you’ve opted for custom INFINITI OEM parts upgrades like custom wheels. Consider the following as you get started to answer how to check tire tread depth:
- New tire tread depth typically ranges from about 10/32 to 11/32 of an inch
- Deeper grooves may be standard in much colder areas
- Most experts recommend replacing tires at 2/32 of an inch
- Proper tire maintenance with INFINITI service specialists will ensure better fuel economy as well as improved maneuverability
Knowing the answer to “How do I check tire tread wear” will improve performance across the board and will help keep you and your passengers safe. Learn some of the basic tricks below.
The Penny Test
While some may imagine that the best way to check wear on your tires involves special tools, it’s actually simple with a sharp eye and quick trick. Those in the know call it the Penny Test, or simply, how to check tire tread depth with just pocket change:
- Place the penny in between a groove on the tire with Lincoln’s head facing down.
- If you can see all of Lincoln’s face, the tire treads measure 2/32 inches deep or less and it’s time to schedule a tire replacement, lest you need to call INFINITI roadside assistance.
- Do this for each tire, and be sure to check different areas on each of the tires, as your tires wear differently based on the drivetrain and a number of other factors.
An alternative to the Penny Test are the options of a tire tread depth gauge or tread wear bars that indicate when a tire reaches the 2/32 minimum. If they do happen to reach the minimum, your parts center experts are ready with genuine INFINITI OEM parts.
Easy Ways to Maximize Tire Performance
Knowing the answer to “How do I check tire tread depth?” is only one part of making sure your tires excel on any street. Additional ways of increasing the longevity and performance of your vehicle’s tires include:
- Tire pressure checks
- Inspections for any visible damage
- Inspections for any tire rot or disintegration
- Tire alignment
- Tire rotation
Be sure to explore your local INFINITI service center for specials to save more for your enhanced travels around Cincinnati, OH.
Keep Your Luxury Vehicle in Top Condition With INFINITI of Northern Kentucky!
With your new INFINITI, you’ll have peace of mind with INFINITI roadside assistance for 48 months and unlimited miles, alongside dedicated parts specialists standing by to help you upgrade your tires with genuine INFINITI OEM parts and accessories. Stay on top of all your vehicle needs with more service tips like how to clean leather car seats, contact INFINITI of Northern Kentucky today!